Personal Dynamic Media
Last updated at 9:51 am UTC on 13 May 2019
Alan Kay, Adele Goldberg in http://www.vpri.org/pdf/m1977001_dynamedia.pdf
We crystallized our dreams into a design idea for a personal dynamic medium the size of a notebook (the Dynabook)
which could be owned by everyone and could have the power to handle virtually all of its owner's information-related needs.
Towards this goal
- we have designed and built a communications system: the Smalltalk language,
- implemented on small computers we refer to ad 'interim Dynabooks."
We are exploring the use of this system
- as a programming and problem solving tool;
- as an interactive memory for the storage and manipulation of data;
- as a text editor;
- and as a medium for expression through
- animating pictures, and
- composing and generating music.