Personal Dynamic Media
Last updated at 5:35 am UTC on 12 June 2018
Alan Kay, Adele Goldberg
We crystallized our dreams into a design idea for a personal dynamic medium the size of a notebook (the Dynabook) which could be owned by everyone and could have the power to handle virtually all of its owner's information-related needs.
Towards this goal
- we have designed and built a communications system: the Smalltalk language,
- implemented on small computers we refer to ad 'interim Dynabooks."
We are exploring the use of this system
- as a programming and problem solving tool;
- as an interactive memory for the storage and manipulation of data;
- as a text editor;
- and as a medium for expression through drawing, painting, animating pictures, and composing and generating music.