NuScratch installation in a Squeak 5.x systems in general
Last updated at 10:31 pm UTC on 6 July 2018
NuScratch is not limited to be run on the Raspberry Pi. Any regular Squeak 5.x system may run NuScratch thus making it available on many platforms.
- Download http://download.scratch.mit.edu/source-code/ScratchSkin1.4.zip The zip archive contains a folder called 'ScratchSkin'.
- Put this folder 'ScratchSkin' into the folder where your image is. The folder 'ScratchSkin' is needed when initialising the Scratch system.
- Choose SqueakMap (in menu 'apps') and click on the 'update' button it.
- Right click in the pane where it says 'Squeak-versions' and uncheck 'New safely available packages'. After you have done that the pane above is filled with entries.
- Click into the search field and search for 'NuScratch'.
- Select NuScratch version 381 (as of this date - 12 june 2018). Then click the 'install' button.
- You will see a number of complaints about Interpreter proxy being Undeclared; don't worry about it.
- Once loaded the Scratch application should appear in the Apps menu in the Dock/Menubar.
- If you want to quit Scratch without quitting the entire image, remember to close it with the Morphic halo 'X' rather than using the File->Quit menu within the Scratch window - that is connected to the system quit primitive!