Last updated at 7:31 pm UTC on 4 July 2018
A distributed, optimistic, concurrent, versioning system for Squeak code.
Metacello is the package management system which goes with Monticello. Metacello is what you need to install.
The home page maintained by the developer is http://www.wiresong.ca/Monticello/ .
The short list of what Monticello provides:
For a definition of Monticello terminology see Elements of Monticello
- Distributed versioning (store a package in as many repositories as you want, moving version files freely between them, without losing branching info)
- Optimistic branching and merging (reconcile concurrent modifications to a package, with conflict detection and resolution)
- Declarative modelling of Smalltalk code (Monticello is based on whole-package snapshots, not change sets)
- Dependency checking on load (if a prerequisite like a superclass is missing, your image is left untouched)
- smart package updating (migrate an image from one snapshot to another, performing the necessary additions and removals)
For screen shots and navigation see Monticello Basics.
For suggestion on using Monticello to create a package see
For more background