Update an existing image to an alpha image
Last updated at 1:33 pm UTC on 16 January 2006
Update an existing release image to an alpha image via the server:
Note: The example below is for updating from a 3.5 image to a 3.6alpha image. However, the process is basically the same for updating from 3.6 to 3.7alpha, etc. (Simply use 'Squeak3.7alpha' in the SystemVersion command instead.)
For Squeak Alpha Testing:
If you wish to be a test pilot and receive further updates that may or may not improve the quality of your Squeak, then....
To enable your 3.5 release image to accept the updates for 3.6alpha...
Remember, you will be filing this stuff in 'at your own risk'. Test Pilots and Guinea Pigs only.
- Make a copy of your 3.5 image and changes.
- Update that system fully to get all the 3.5 updates. (Use the "help..."/"update code from server" menu item.)
- Execute: SystemVersion newVersion:'Squeak3.6alpha'
- Save that as your 3.6alpha test-pilot image.
- Now do another update from server to get the 3.6alpha updates.
Also, see Updating with no net access for info on minimizing time spent online while updating.
See also Code updates