Building the VM
Last updated at 5:25 pm UTC on 12 February 2020
There are many variants of VM for Squeak:
Here are some of the variants of Squeak VM
- Platform - Linux, Mac OS, Windows, RISC OS, iOS, ...
- Word size - 32-bit, 64-bit
- Bytecode and Object representation
Squeak VM is written in Squeak Smalltalk and is available in VMMaker package.
There are two repositories for the source code
The source code is portable and compiles on multiple platforms:
- The current version is maintained in opensmalltalk-vm github repository
- The trunk version (upto roughly V3) is maintained in a SVN repository.
- Compiling Squeak on Windows
- Compiling Interpreter VM on Linux
- Compiling Squeak for iOS
- Old notes on Virtual Machine hacking