Squeak on WinCE
Last updated at 9:09 am UTC on 19 May 2007
Squeak can run on the following WinCE/PocketPC machines:
Yoshiki Ohshima has provided the following WinCE VMs, available from http://www.is.titech.ac.jp/~ohshima/squeak/WinCE/ :
- PocketPC on ARM, (iPAQ, Genio-e, etc.) SqueakVM-alpha6-030206-PPC-ARM.zip
- PocketPC on ARM, without Game API, SqueakVM-alpha6-030206-PPC-ARM-noGAPI.zip
- PocketPC on MIPS (CASSIOPEIA E-700, etc.) SqueakVM-alpha6-PocketPC-MIPS.zip
- PocketPC on SH3 (Jornada 548, etc.) SqueakVM-alpha6-PocketPC-SH3.zip
- H/PC Pro or H/PC 2000 on ARM, (HP Jornada 720, HP Jornada 820, etc. Note: doesn't work; see below) SqueakVM-alpha6-HPC-ARM.zip
- H/PC Pro on MIPS, (Mobile Gear II, InterLink, Telios, etc.) SqueakVM-alpha6-HPC-MIPS.zip
- H/PC Pro on SH3, (HP 620 LX, PERSONA HPW-200JC, etc.) SqueakVM-alpha6-HPC-SH3.zip
- H/PC Pro on SH4, (PERSONA HPW-600JC, etc.) SqueakVM-alpha6-HPC-SH4.zip
- PalmSizePC on MIPS, (CASSIOPEIA E-500 (E-105), etc.) SqueakVM-alpha6-PalmSizePC-MIPS.zip
- PalmSizePC on SH3, (...) SqueakVM-alpha6-PalmSizePC-SH3.zip
Images for WinCE
- Squeak 3.0 + MajorShrink, as mentioned on Yoshiki's page above.
- Any others?
Does Squeak work on Windows Mobile 5?
There is no 100% functional squeak virtual machine for actual Windows Mobile 5.
Fullscreen mode only, no support for VGA, no support for internal WM5 virtual keyboard, no support for "tap-and-hold"/right clicks... (from Newbies mailing list post)
Running Squeak on a HP Jornada 820 (and maybe the 720?)
The HP Jornada 820 is a laptop-style PDA with a 640x480 screen and a touch-type keyboard. You can pick these machines up very cheaply second-hand. Squeak runs on it... just. To get it going, do the following:
- Chuck a CompactFlash card in the machine. What, you haven't already?
- Use this VM: http://ftp.squeak.org/3.2/wince/SqueakVM-alpha6-HPC-ARM.zip. The VM on Yoshiki Ohshima's site doesn't work; it comes up with some memory error.
- It is slow - be forewarned.
- You need to find an image under 10MB. I've (Michael vdG) tried Squeak 1.3, 3.4 and 3.8, and they all work.
- Forget using Morphic - just bringing up a menu takes around 4 seconds; opening up a browser takes forever (metaphorically). I find using MVC is bearable, but even then just typing stuff in is quite laggy.
- The 3.9 and 3.10 images have a bug in MVC where half the mouse-clicks get swallowed.
- To get a Squeak 3.8 under 10MB, fire up Squeak on a bigger computer and remove Morphic. First, make an MVC project, change the default window title font to a non-TTF font then use Smalltalk>>discardMorphic as a guide. It comes up with a few errors you'll need to work around.
Useful Third Party Software
- Nyditot Virtual Display (http://www.nyditot.com/) allows a larger virtual display with scrolling or scaling. Useful to get access to those elements of Squeak which are not yet customised for small screens.
- PocketMac (http://www.pocketmac.net) allows syncronisation and copying files between a PocketPC and a Mac