Last updated at 8:32 pm UTC on 3 September 2008
This page is intended as a home for discussing Squeak in world languages. Out of the box Squeak 3.0 seems to be great with English and unsure about other languages...this remains true of Squeak 3.10. Here are some of the relevant topics - feel free to add, this is a Swiki!
- Internationalization I18n: Supporting global computing
- Input Method Editors
- Character Sets
- Dates and Currencies
- Time Zones
- Number formats (where to put , vs where to put .)
- Localization L10n: Adapting Squeak to specific locales
- Language Specific Issues and Helps
- Squeaking in Greek
- Squeaking in Japanese
- Squeaking in Korean
- Squeaking in Russian. The instructions given here also give working input, display, and copy/paste for several other languages, including Esperanto, French, German, Greek, Italian, Spanish, Slovenian, Swedish, and Thai. Arabic almost works; character display is not modified based on letter position. Copy/paste sometimes has glitches.
- Squeaking in Spanish
- Squeaking in Tamil (why not?)
- Squeaking in Nepali
Yoshiki Ohshima is actively developing a Multilingual Squeak add-on.
See my email at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/squeak/message/44278 with a propousal to translated most of messages. If you want, I can send you an changeset with the prososal. I can help in the process for a Spanish translation (Diego Gomez Deck)
Sept 2008 - to check in 3.10 if it still applies: I am also unable to fileIn/fileOut methods in Squeak containing accented characters or 'eņes' . FAQ: Corrupted Source when Downloading