Last updated at 3:22 pm UTC on 1 August 2014
The current stable version of squeak is always available at http://www.squeak.org/Downloads.
Following are summaries of the released versions of Squeak.
3.10 was released on May 5, 2008
3.9 was released in the past.
Squeak 3.8 was released on.. May 24 2005 (exact date ?) It includes Unicode in Squeak support.
See Release Notes for 3.8
The 3.7 release is available in two configurations: The Full release (default) and the Basic release.
3.7 was released on Sept. 15, 2004. These are the major changes since 3.6:
- Version 2 of SqueakMap, a major upgrade which supports multiple releases for packages, user accounts and much more.
- Babel, a framework for supporting language translations in the UI. (e.g. French, Swedish, etc.)
- SmaCC, the Smalltalk Compiler Compiler deployment runtime from John Brant. The SmaCC development tool lets you define a parser/compiler.
- Some packages removed and placed on SqueakMap, including the XML parser and IRC.
- The Accufonts bitmap font set. This means the original Apple NewYork font has been removed, to help clean up the Squeak-L licensing issue regarding fonts.
- BitstreamVeraFonts, a set of free TrueType/antialiased fonts.
- Chronology package. This contains ANSI DateTime, refactored Date and Time classes.
- The remaining ANSI compatibility methods. Squeak now includes all of the major ANSI compatibility changes.
- A Change Notification framework from the KCP team at Berne. This sends consistent notification messages when code changes happen in the system.
- Latest updates from the SqueakLand/Etoys world.
- An enhanced look and feel including menu icons, gradient scrollbars and window titlebar buttons, etc.
- Horizontal scrollbars now supported in all scrollable text/list panes, and very large lists are now supported with LargeLists.
- Class comments immediately visible in Browsers when a new class is viewed.
- Enhancement packages incorporated from SqueakMap: NamedProcess, ShrinkingSelection/ParenBlinking, BreakpointSupport, LargeLists.
- Support for animated GIFs and saving PNG files.
- Support for compressed source files.
- New class Matrix which replaces Array2D.
- The usual numerous small enhancements and fixes.
3.6 was released on Oct. 7, 2003. It contains numerous changes versus 3.5.
- Several packages were split off from the image. (See Modularizing the Squeak image) This also means there will be a separate Full release including the extra packages, and a Basic release without them.
- Support for TrueType Text styles, meaning that TrueType fonts can now be loaded and easily used in windows, browsers, etc.
- A rewrite of the networking code by Michael Rueger.
- Improvements to contexts, processes and the compiler by Anthony Hannan, which will also help support block closures in a future release.
- Numerous changes by the KCP (Kernel Cleanup Project), including cleaning up much of SystemDictionary.
- Numerous changes by the MCP (Morphic Cleanup Project) group.
- Declarative Pool Dictionaries.
- Many fixes and smaller enhancements.
3.5 was released in April 2003. This was just a quick re-release of 3.4, with a couple of important bugfixes included. (A ClassBuilder fix which allows all classes to be recompiled, and a fix for loading projects with jpegs.)
Released on March 3rd, 2003, by Doug Way taking over from Scott Wallace.
The main purpose of this release was to create an up to date, viable version, which would be a good starting point to making Squeak more modular and it's development more decentralized.
- Includes non-modules related updates from 3.3a, including the dynamic filelist services refactoring.
- An option to load the SqueakMap package catalog and the base Package Loader from the net.
- A dynamic open menu so packages can now register there and become first class applications.
- Refactorings making various parts of the image easily removable.
- Various other fixes have been included.
(The 3.3alpha branch with Modules was declared obsolete. See Modules Discussion at OOPSLA 2002.)
The current stable version is 3.2. (3.2-4956)
As of 10/3/2001:
The current stable version is 3.0. (3.1beta was abandoned.)
The current development version is 3.2alpha. Read Dan Ingalls' announcement for version 3.2
As of 7/15/2001:
The current stable version has been 3.0 for quite a while now. Read Dan Ingalls' announcement for version 3.0
The current development version is 3.1alpha.
Read Dan Ingall's announcement for version 2.9
Read Dan Ingall's announcement for version 2.8
Read Dan Ingall's announcement for version 2.7
Read Dan Ingall's announcement for version 2.6
Read Dan Ingall's announcement for version 2.5
Read Dan Ingall's announcement for version 2.4
Read Dan Ingall's announcement for version 2.3.
Announced changes in SqueakVersion2 (2.0).
Release Notes for Squeak 1.x Versions.