registry Windows XP switch keyboards when you hit alt-shift
Last updated at 1:26 am UTC on 17 January 2006
XP has a "feature" which switches the keyboard layout when you press Alt-Shift (as in Alt-Shift-Click ho, hum). You can get the original layout back by pressing Alt-Shift again.
Here is how you permanently disable it:
Either load this registry editor script (for the brave and/or foolish; please look at it first!):
OR using the "easy" Windows GUI:
- Go to the Task Bar, choose Settings
- Open the Control panel
- Open the Regional and Language options
- In the above dialog click on the "Details..." button
- You will see the "Text Services and Input Languages"
- Click on the "Key Settings..." button in the above dialog
- You will see the "Advanced Key Settings"
- Click on "Change Key Sequence..." in the above dialog
- Uncheck the keyboard shortcuts, so it looks like this:
- Say "OK" to about a million dialogs.