To Do List for 3.7
Last updated at 11:54 am UTC on 17 January 2006
Ok, when 3.7alpha was opened there was a thread (or more) about what we should try to do in 3.7. I gathered up a "to pick from"-list out of that. – Goran
Items are being moved from To-do to Done or 3.8alpha as progress is being made. – Doug and Goran
Major items to-do for 3.7
Softer goals during 3.7
- We (guides) have started trying to formulate a vision that we stand by. This is still very much in its infancy, but I think one goal for 3.7 is to get that out.
- Come up with anything regarding bug tracking. Both for the image and for packages. SM2 can help a bit.
- General harvesting, and perhaps have a "BFAV crash course" during the iteration to pick up more users and thus speed through more eyeballs.
- Start thinking about Stewarding areas of the image using PackageInfo definitions (without necessarily splitting it out). This way we get someone "in charge" and bug tracking, decision making etc gets much more defined. Perhaps even form a task force for this.
- Talk about the direction of the full image.
- Decide whether next release will be 3.8 or 4.0. Done... 3.8 will be next, but 4.0 will be worked on simultaneously as a 64-bit port of Squeak. See this message on squeak-dev for details.
- Make a targeted effort at "harvesting" many of the enhancement packages currently living on SM. Many of those actually belong in the base image packages. (most of the ones listed by Göran was actually already harvested)
- Diego's look and feel package.
- Get Babel in.
- Remove the XML parser (there is a removal script on SqueakMap)
- I (Goran) think we should at least try to rotate one Guide. Rotation was a key idea from the beginning and I think it is healthy for the community. (Daniel Vainsencher retired as a Guide and Marcus Denker has joined.)
- SmaCC runtime
- Remove IRC (it's an old version anyways)
- Get SqueakMap v2 up and running.
- Accufonts, to help clean up the Squeak-L licensing issue.
- Chronology package. This contains ANSI DateTime. (Refactored Date and Time Classes)
- Roel's event notification stuff (Kernel Cleaning Project (KCP)).
- Merge all Changes from the current SqueakLand image (especially Etoys)
- Merge remaining Changes from SmallLand Squeak
- ANSI compatibility. this is not big (only 38k without DateTime, mostly for some additional classes)
- Class comments immediately visible in Browsers when a new class is viewed
Postponed to 3.8/4.0
- m17n See Release Notes for 3.8 for more details.
- New Compiler and full closure support.
- Some folks wanted to get a RegExp package in for 3.7... Yoshiki requested that this be postponed until after m17n, as it would make his job considerably more difficult.
- Using Adam Spitz excellent work (the Cleanup package) split out 30 packages.
- 4.0 is the intended target for the 64-bit Squeak project.
3.7 Release Dates (tentative)
- 3.7beta released in April 2004. (6 weeks prior to gamma)
- 3.7gamma in ~June 2004. (2 weeks prior to final)
- 3.7final early September 2004.