BFAV 2.0 Release Notes
Last updated at 12:16 pm UTC on 17 January 2006
BFAV has been replaced by the Mantis Server
The information on this page is maintained only for its historical value.
BFAV 2.0 was an alpha-quality release.
Notes on BFAV2 pre-alpha smoke test
Scheduled Release Date:
December 15, 2003
Actual Release Date:
December 14, 2003
Brent Vukmer and Ken Causey are the lead developers. Thanks to Ken Causey, the release got out in time!
BFAV 2.0 looks pretty similar to BFAV 1.31. Most of the work that went into BFAV 2.0 went into two goals:
Probably the most noticeable changes are:
- Connecting the BFAV 1.x UI to a new back-end
- Cleaning up the UI and Model packages to make them easier to understand and maintain
- The listing for the entire archive is loaded at once
- Loading no longer happens in a background process
- The email message for a post is not loaded until you select the post in the listing
- This means you'll see a wait cursor when you click on a post you haven't viewed before
- Once an email message has been downloaded, the body text and attachments are stored on disk, not in memory
- This means you'll always see a wait cursor when you click on a post :)
- However, the wait should be very short when the email is already downloaded
- Filtering preferences are stored in Preferences
- Filtering changes only take effect when you choose the mouse-menu option "apply filter changes"
- There are three text input boxes instead of four
- "Text in title or body:" has been changed to "Text in title: "
- Filtering based on body text would require either downloading every email message in the archive, or some pretty fancy footwork that I didn't want to attempt
- All BFAV 2.0 menu options are found in the listing pane mouse-menu
BFAV 2.0 has been tested on Mac and Linux and didn't have any obvious problems. BFAV 2.0 was tested on Windows 2000 and there were some issues related to the HTTPClient library not retrieving an HTTP response correctly; I think this might be a Windows VM issue but I haven't looked at it very hard. Help troubleshooting this problem would be very welcome.