How to use the BFAV2
Last updated at 8:16 pm UTC on 1 November 2006
BFAV has been replaced by the Mantis Server
The information on this page is maintained only for its historical value.
Open the SqueakMap Package Loader
Load the "BFAV2 Installer" package
Go to the World menu > open ... > BFAV
The BFAV2 will take a couple of minutes to load the listing of archive posts. The archive contained more than 14,000 posts as of December 2003). The BFAV2 collects posts with the same topic into a group. Once the BFAV2 opens, you can filter list of groups you see.
How to filter the BFAV2 list
When you select a post that you are interested in, there will be a brief delay while the BFAV2 either downloads the corresponding email message, or loads it from disk.
Once the post is loaded, use the listing-pane context menu to view the attachment(s) for a given post. It will list the attachments, if there are any, and the file-services available.
Once you have identified a submission you want to comment on, select it and using the mouse menu select the "open comments note pad." This brings up the CommentNotePad, a helper application designed to automate a lot of the annoying details about posting to the Bug Fixes Archive (QA tags, using parens correctly, getting the title exactly the same, etc). From the CommentNotePad:
- Set the harvesting tags for your post, such as "SLint-Approved".
- Create a brief summary comment ( e. g., 'Needs SUnit tests' or 'Design suggestions') in the upper most text pane and do 'accept' to save it.
- Create optional detailed comment including code snippets in the middle text pane and do 'accept' to save it.
- Add any attachment file names, separated by CRs to the bottom text pane and do 'accept' to save them.
- If you have Preferences > Browsing > Browse with DragNDrop turned on, you can drag a file from the FileList to the bottom pane of the CommentNotePad.
- Using the mouse menu, send your comments as an email. to the BFAV Server
- If you like, you can send a post to the Squeak Mailing Lists
- You can also send a reply to the author of the fix/enhancement you are reviewing
- Finally, you may post a reply to everyone who has posted in a group
Here's a screenshot of version 2.09 of BFAV2, which includes the handy Unreviewed/Reviewed/Approved/etc. tabs:
See also: Managing BFAV Posts, What to do: "Last BFAV update failed: FileDoesNotExistException"