Release Notes for Squeak 1.x Versions
Last updated at 12:44 pm UTC on 17 January 2006
Notable features of 1.30:
Notable features of 1.23:
- New Virtual Machine: dynamic translation, a/k/a Just In Time (JIT) compiling!
- Support for Text Style and Links in Source Code.
- New Sound and Music Facilities.
- A Complete WikiWiki Server.
- Many small bug fixes.
Notable new features of 1.22:
- Resurrection of the SystemTracer. It is known to have written at least one clone that runs successfully. No guarantees on byte ordering on PCs.
- Several fixes to the InterpreterSimulator, for those who think Squeak is too fast. ;-)
- Cleanups of GIFreader, BMPreading and Bitmap compression relating to byte ordering.
- Improvements to Polygon, Curve, and TextMorph editing in Morphic.
- Morphic meets Sockets: It's...TeleMorphic! You can now connect to another user and work together in Morphic. Will demo at OOPSLA.
- Inclusion of Hans-Martin Mosner's MorphicMenus. A bit slow, still, but pretty neat, and essential to TeleMorphic!
- A significant fix to Sockets which greatly raises throughput over 1.22 in some cases.
- Fix for occasional bug due to half-closed (view-less) windows in the scheduler.
- Option to choose a new filename when an open fails.
- Primitive range extended to 700, with 175 free, and 1300 more possible.
- Support for reduced CPU usage when Squeak runs as a background process; say, as a network server.
- Clock rollover bug fixed in both the VM and Delay code.
- Support for waiting on a semaphore with a timeout.
- Support allowing external events to signal Squeak processes via semphores and incorporation into Sockets and sound I/O.
- Reorganization of Socket hierarchy.
- Sound input facilities, including rudimentary sound recorder UI in Morphic.
- Ability to initiate sound output with greatly reduced latency.
- Improvements to Sound Sampling
- RepeatingSounds: repeats some other sound.
- Form storeOn: fixes from Ward.
- Ian's getVMParameters primitive and system monitor.
- Several VM bug fixes from Ian: performWithArgs, block cannot return.
- Georg's UnixDirectory
- Faster source code scanning by moving ctl-key checks out of CompiledMethod.
- Fixed unlikely potential bug in interpreter method lookup fail code.
- Made MethodDictionaries more space-conservative.
- Fixed OrderedCollection copyWithout for SortedCollections per Georg.
- Ted & Ward's shuffle tweak.
- Closing collapsed windows no longer messes up the display.
- Numerous tweaks so majorShrink and abandonSources work smoothly.
- Tim's fix to Georg's bug with stack depth in caseOf:
- Ability to read and write (uncompressed) .BMP files of depth 1, 8 and 32 bits.
- Removed support for obsolete MacPaint file format.
- Debugger fixes from Sheldon Nicholl.
- A few fixes from Hans-Martin to Bit Editor.
- A few improvements for reading in FontSets
- A few updates for the InterpreterSimulator.
- Support for occluded update of the transcript.
- A few fixes relating to forms with transparency.