Last updated at 3:05 pm UTC on 10 July 2018
NetNameResolver is a support class that enables access to the VM supported network name to address resolution mechanism. This usual involves using the platform supported mechanisms such as DNS or a hosts.txt file. The current implementations have some weaknesses, see How do I find out the IP address(es) of my machine? for some of the details. All methods are on the class side.
If you want more control of DNS lookups, there is a DNS client package at http://www.squeaksource.com/dnsclient.html that does everything in Squeak.
address string utils
A pair of methods to translate to and from dotted decimal IP address strings to the ByteArray4 representation we use for IP addresses.
- addressToString: byteArray4
- NetNameResolver addressToString: (#(127 0 0 1) asByteArray).
- stringToAddress: dottedDecimalIpString
- NetNameResolver stringToAddress: ''127.0.0.1'.
Methods for finding host name and address information.
- addressForName: domainNameString
- addressForName: domainNameString timeout: secondsToTimeout
- nameForAddress: byteArray4 timeout: secondsToTimeout
- promptUserForHostAddressDefault: defaultName