Last updated at 4:14 pm UTC on 14 January 2006
1 MetroTech Center
Brooklyn NY 11201
I build Big, Boring Business systems; most recently a field dispatch system for the utility where I work. The system uses Smalltalk for handheld devices, and for the dispatching servers.
Lately, I've gotten interested in the idea of regarding such corporate systems as 'coordination systems'. At least, that is what the systems should be.
I have been using Squeak for a few things:
See more on PWS on SqueakWiki
- Running a Pluggable Webserver, PWS, at work, to experiment with small group collaboration.
- Running a PWS at home, locally, to organize the material for a book I am trying to write on reflection. See: DavidMcNicol's thoughts at the bottom of PortWishList, Personal Wikis on WikiMoreThanWebsite, WikiWikiWeb
- Teaching myself about color.
- (At a glacial pace) I am working on a nice 'grapher' done in Squeak with Morphic. It understands multiple layouts for a given graph. I got it to the point this week that nodes actually display in approximately the right place.
- New! (On 3/20/99). I am going to take a run at putting a 'Closette' level meta protocol on top of Squeak. That's not much of
a meta protocol; the point of doing this is to see what it's like to interact with the current compiler/interpreter/VM for these sorts of meta purposes.