Managing BFAV Posts
Last updated at 4:22 pm UTC on 14 January 2006
With BFAV2 Release 2.30, we now have the ability to better manage BVAF posts. We can reset a posting group's status, if for example it was inadverantly closed. We can copy a post to a new group: this could be used to split/merge posting groups.
For most of us, these functions will be used manage posts we submitted or are actively reviewing. For Managing BFAV Posts, these features can be used as needed to keep the harvest process working.
How to "reopen" closed posting groups
- More generally, you canreset a group from "closed", "update" or "approved" status back to "open." This is done by using the "opened" radio button on the Harvesting Status pane of the Decent Review NotePad. Click on the opened button, tabs (once the DRNP is sent.)
- A given posting group can be closed and reopen multiple multiple times, if really necssary.
- If you want to back up one step from say update to approve, you've got to open, and then approve.
- You should only use this feature: a) if you are one of the Harvesters, b) you had accidently set the status incorrectly in the first place or c) you have new information about a closed post and want to bring it back into play.
How to "transfer" a post from one group to another
- More generally, you can make a copy of a post in one group and add it to another You do this using a new window: Dual Patch Archive Client. A DPAC containds two Patch Archive Clients and can be opened by a doit on:
- You can use a DPAC to do anything you can with a PAC, plus you can transfer posts. To to so:
- Position the left side list to show the posting group you want to copy the post from.
- Position the right side list to show the posting group you want to copy the post to.
- Click on the post you want to copy, holding the mouse button down, drag the post to the group you want to copy it to and drop it on the post.
- A Decent Review NotePad will open on the target group but containng the contents of the dragged post.
- You may edit the contents (if an explaination is in order, to add attachements) and then click on send.
- Once the new post is sent, recieved and reloaded, the new post will show under the new posting group.
- There are still many limitations to this process
- This action copies the post, it does not remove the post from the old group. You can close the old posting group in the usual manner, if appropriate.
- This does not copy changes sets or attachments automatically. You can copy cs's and attachments by downloading them to you machine, and then attaching them to the message in the usual way before sending the message.
- The two PAC contained in the DPAC are independant. Loading updates to one PAC does not update update the other. This is a feature in that making the sides independant means you can position them at completely different locations in the list.
- You should only use this feature a) if you one of the Harvesters, b) you had accidently sent a post to the wrong group in the first place or c) in reviewing a post you see that it really applies to some other posting group. In this case, be sure to cc the original author.