Summary: Andreas's Islands
Last updated at 4:57 pm UTC on 1 March 2005
- Islands isolate sets of object
- Isolation: Objects inside one island point directly to each other, but via far references to objects in other islands
- Far refs are essentially indirect pointers; known to each island
What problem is being addressed
- Isolation of sets of objects
- Conversion between "near" and "far" references (e.g., intra- and inter-Island)
How it solves the problem
- Control of how arguments and message results are being passed forth and back between islands
- Object living in one island passes far ref when involved in a message (as argument or return value) to/from another island
- Far refs being resolved in the same way
For coherence I think the author should write the sections above this line.
People can add what they want to these later sections, and can suggest that the author change the rest.
What's cool about it
- it's extremely simple (5 classes, 100 methods)
- Whaddaya mean, "what's not"???
Back to New Modules