Last updated at 6:43 pm UTC on 5 April 2014
Squeak 4.5 was released in March 2014 and the convenient (for users of x86 based machines) all-in-one release is downloadable from http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5/Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.zip
Activity list for Squeak 4.6 Release Notes
The rest of this page is the remains of the discussion on what features etc were to go into the release 4.5.
- CI: Infrastructure to support running "community supported packages" test suites
- CI: jobs for the major platforms: ARM, ...
- CI: job taking latest trunk image from the first item above and loading in certain well-known packages - Metacello, Gofer, Seaside, XTreams, PetitParser, Fuel, ... - and running their test suites (both against 4.5 AND ALSO against 4.4)
- Investigate Pharo's interaction with the command prompt: headless UIManager, command line API, etc. Port/import if it's nice!
- Integrate Gezira graphics into squeak and investigate transitioning morphic to use it. Crisp, anti-aliased graphics for all!
- Fix the problem of code being truncated by the right-side of the window.
- Fix the in-image SqueakMap tools
- Fix (or rewrite) SqueakMap's server
- CI: After updating the image, print out the version number (done), and (if possible) the last changes. Ideally we'd have a diff against the last version, and convince Jenkins to display that in its changes page.
- CI: Remove the statefulness of the InterpreterVM and CogVM builds' workspaces
- Create: SqueakV45.sources
- Replace the OmniBrowser load script from "Extending the System" with "Installer sm install: 'OmniBrowser(NNN)'" where NNN is a release number we don't yet know.
- consider if any preferences are no longer valid and remove them
- traceMessages on
- mouseOverForKeyboardFocus on!
- TextEditor autoEnclose on, autoIndent off, selectionsMayShrink off, destructiveBackword off.
- General: useLocale enabled. The local timezone will be set at startup.
- Browsing: list classes hierarchically.
- Colors: use new color picker.
- Halos: alternateHandlesLook enabled. This give the halos a 3D look.
- Morphic: generalizeYellowButtonMenu disabled. This enables the personalized menu.
- turn on/off Shout syntax colouring
Release process artifacts
- Produce new alpha images (put in ftp.squeak.org's 4.5alpha directory)
- Selecting and setting the desktop background
- new update stream
- - Copy packages to new update stream (ReleaseBuilder >> #transferCurrentPackagesAsUser:password:)
- - Create an update.whoever-1.mcm (but see http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7717)
- Release notes
- SqueakMap tag
- Mantis tag
- Release candidate images (put in ftp.squeak.org's 4.5 directory)
- Create a new sources file for the new release.
- Sources to ftp site (/var/www/files/4.5/) (Includes Squeak45.sources.gz)
- VMs to ftp site (in blah/4.5/mac/, blah/4.5/unix-linux/, blah/4.5/win/)
- All-in-One release to the ftp site
- External''Packages-SqueakN.M job on build.squeak.org (done)
- update /var/www/files/current_stable and current_development symlinks
- Announce release on board blog
- Announce release on Hacker News
Prepare for the next release
- - any updating to Trunk to move it to 4.6-alpha (including updating the SystemVersion)
- - Swiki page for the next version (done)
- Update any CI jobs that depend on the Squeak version (build scripts have reference to Squeak versioned artifacts, build configs pull in artifacts with versioned names)
- Remove senders of #isThisEverCalled.(Well; most of them)
- CI: test File-System, Nebraska, Universes, XML-Parser, Xtreams
- CI: job testing unloading of well-known packages
- CI: Infrastructure to support running tests on many platforms, without requiring deploying full-time build agents in the umpteen platforms we support (Jenkins might be able to help for most things: it supports distributed builds where slaves connect to a master, letting people run slaves behind NATs.)
- Remove Nebraska, SmallLand-ColorTheme, ST80, ST80Tools, SystemReporter, Universes, XML-Parser from the core image. (The output of the SqueakTrunk should not contain these packages; the ReleaseSqueakTrunk job will re-add these packages.)
- Remove 39Deprecated, 311Deprecated