Squeak Oversight Board Election 2021
Last updated at 9:06 am UTC on 16 April 2021
Election leader 2021: Patrick Rein and Ron Teitelbaum
Action Required for Voters in the 2021 SOB Election
This year everything is a little different about the SOB election. :) Our election platform changed their email rules. This year, for you to vote on CIVS, you have to opt in to receiving emails from CIVS. This is necessary, as you will get a personalized voting link via email directly from CIVS. Please opt in to receiving emails from CIVS at https://civs1.civs.us/cgi-bin/opt_in.pl otherwise you will NOT be able to vote! Everyone on the voters list will also get a personal email on this. If you have already opted in by then, you can ignore that email.
Candidates (order of announcement)
- Tim Rowledge
- Vanessa Freudenberg
- Craig Latta
- Marcel Taeumel
- David T. Lewis
- Tony Garnock-Jones
- Chris Muller
Voting for None of the Below
Voting for "None of the Below" allows you to vote for the people you want most without having to vote for candidates that you do not prefer. Candidates that get fewer votes than "None of the Below" are not elected to the board. In the case that "None of the Below" is chosen above the 7 candidates needed, the board will have fewer than 7 members for the year. When voting starts you will be asked to rank the candidates in the order you wish to have them added to the board. If you don't have a preference between two candidates rank the users with the same rank. Ranking "None of the Below" above other members indicates your desire to vote against the remaining candidates. DO NOT select "No Opinion" as this does not rank the remaining candidates at all. Select a lower rank than "None of the Below" to vote against them. If you have questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Your question and answer will be posted to squeak-dev.
The squeak community does its best to elect 7 board members each year. In the event that less than 7 board members run or less than 7 are elected (see Voting for None of the Below) the next largest ODD number of board members will be elected to the board. The requirement for an ODD number of seats is to ensure that tie votes can be broken. For example, if 7 candidates run and 6 are elected, the highest 5 ranking board members will serve on the board.
Posts related to the Election (chronological)
The schedule and process are as follows:
- Now until Friday 16th of April 2021, 18.00 UTC: Nominations of SOB members and campaigning!
- Friday 23rd of April 2021, 18.00 UTC: Candidate list is finalized.
- Friday 23rd of April 2021, 19.00 UTC: Online election starts.
- Friday 7th of May 2021, 19.00 UTC: Online election ends.
- Results will be announced immediately after the election ends.
If you were invited to vote last year you are already on the list, no worries! If you are a new Squeaker and wish vote do ONE of the following:
- Get a "known" Squeaker to vouch for you. If a known Squeaker sends an email to me giving me your name and email for you - I will add you.
- Send an email to me presenting yourself with information/arguments showing me that you are indeed serious about voting and that you are indeed a Squeaker. And no, I don't have any hints on what you should write! :) Unless you totally screw that up, you will probably be added. And no, don't send me a 10 page essay ;)
- Opt-in to receiving voting emails at https://civs1.civs.us/cgi-bin/opt_in.pl
- When the voting period starts all voters will receive an email with instructions and a link to the voting website.
1. Vanessa Freudenberg
2. Tim Rowledge
3. Marcel Taeumel
4. Craig Latta
5. David T. Lewis
6. Chris Muller
7. John-Reed Maffeo