restart with keyboard commands
Last updated at 4:31 pm UTC on 6 November 2005
back selfStudy next
What we want to do: For Windows users in particular, Squeak keyboard commands are sometimes confusing. We want to be sure we know all of the common keyboard commands that Squeak uses. We should be able to follow instuctions from all the other pages/books regardless of what terms they use. We want to be able to execute commands and save our work. We want to be able to interrupt a long running process.
What you should know before doing this exercise
What is the World Menu? What are Context Menus? How do I select something, bring up a menu or bring up a halo? Or in other words, what are the red, yellow and blue buttons? What does the alt- or cmd- keys modifier mean? How do I execute some code and commit my changes? Or to put it another way, how do I "do-it", "print-it", "inspect-it" and "save-it"? How do I interupt execution if its "taking too long" ?
If you want additional review, these topics are also covered by and by in the first three pages or so.
- Open a workspace window.
- Enter "3 - 2" highlight it and print-it using the context menu.
- Enter "3 - 2" highlight it and print-it using the appropriate keys.
- Enter "RectangleMorph new" highlight it and inspect-it using the context menu.
- Enter "RectangleMorph new" highlight it and inspect-it using the appropriate keys.
- Enter "a - 2" highlight it and do-it using the mouse. A pink "MessageNotUnderstood" window will come up as a side effect.
- Create a long running process: Enter "1999 factorial" highlight it and do-it using keyboard. NEED SOMETHING THAT LOCKS EVERYTHING UP. While it's running, interrupt it using the interrupt keyboard combo. A pink "User Interrupt " window will appear.
- Open a browser.
- Select the "Object" class and the "=" method (See Selecting a class and method.)
- Insert a blank line between any two lines in the method and accept the change using the context menu. (See Committing changes)
- Select the "->" method.
- Select the "=" again.
- Delete the blank line you inserted it and accept the change using the keyboard.
- Click on the version button of the browser.
Verify you got it
- Spread all the windows out so you could see all of them.
- Verify that your Workspace looks something like: Basic keyboard exercise answer
- Quit Squeak using the World menu, and do not save your changes.
- Start up Squeak, Open the browser on "Object" and "=", confirm that neither of your versions show up.
Feedback - Please, update this page with corrections and comments This is a Wiki, so feel free to make corrections/ extensions to the instructions above. Also feel make suggestions comments below. The more specific your comments the better.