Last updated at 7:43 am UTC on 29 August 2022
The last released and all earlier versions of squeak are always available at http://www.squeak.org/downloads/.
There the current developer version is available under the link 'Current Alpha Version (a.k.a. "Trunk" or "Bleeding Edge")'. All-in-one packages are included.
Following are summaries of some of the released versions of Squeak. (All versions)
Squeak 6.0 Release Notes (July 2022), release manager: Marcel Taeumel (mt), extensive support: Christoph Thiede (ct)
Squeak 5.3 Release Notes (March 2020), release managers: Hannes Hirzel (hjh) & Marcel Taeumel (mt), extensive support: Christoph Thiede (ct) & Fabio Niephaus (fn)
Squeak 5.2 Release Notes (October 2018), release manager: Edgar J. De Cleene (edc), extensive support: Fabio Niephaus (fn) & Patrick Rein (pre)
Squeak 5.1 Release Notes (August 2016, user interface themes), release manager: Marcel Taeumel (mt)
Dual Release, release manager: Chris Muller (cmm)
Squeak 5.0 Release Notes (July 2015, introduces Spur memory model)
Squeak 4.6 Release Notes (July 2015, uses traditional memory model)
Squeak 4.5, Release notes (March 2014), release manager: Chris Muller (cmm)
Squeak 4.4 Release Notes (December 2012), release manager: Frank Shearar (fbs)
3.10 was released on May 5, 2008
Fork of Pharo
3.9 was released on ...
- Merged changes from SqueakLand ( e.g. Kedama)
- Merged changes from SmallLand
- Introduction of Traits (see http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/Research/Traits/)
- CompiledMethod Properties and Pragmas
- New look
- Morphic performance improvements
- Optional closure compiler
- ToolBuilder (UI Abstraction)
- Services (abstraction for actions and registration mechanism)
- New improved TestRunner
- New sources V39Sources
- A lot of fixes and lot of new Tests
Squeak 3.8 was released on.. May 24 2005 (exact date ?) It includes Unicode in Squeak support.
See Release Notes for 3.8
Fork of Cuis
3.6 was released on Oct. 7, 2003. It contains numerous changes versus 3.5.
- Several packages were split off from the image. (See Modularizing the Squeak image) This also means there will be a separate Full release including the extra packages, and a Basic release without them.
- Support for TrueType Text styles, meaning that TrueType fonts can now be loaded and easily used in windows, browsers, etc.
- A rewrite of the networking code by Michael Rueger.
- Improvements to contexts, processes and the compiler by Anthony Hannan, which will also help support block closures in a future release.
- Numerous changes by the KCP (Kernel Cleanup Project), including cleaning up much of SystemDictionary.
- Numerous changes by the MCP (Morphic Cleanup Project) group.
- Declarative Pool Dictionaries.
- Many fixes and smaller enhancements.
3.5 was released in April 2003. This was just a quick re-release of 3.4, with a couple of important bugfixes included. (A ClassBuilder fix which allows all classes to be recompiled, and a fix for loading projects with jpegs.)
Released on March 3rd, 2003, by Doug Way taking over from Scott Wallace.
The main purpose of this release was to create an up to date, viable version, which would be a good starting point to making Squeak more modular and it's development more decentralized.
- Includes non-modules related updates from 3.3a, including the dynamic filelist services refactoring.
- An option to load the SqueakMap package catalog and the base Package Loader from the net.
- A dynamic open menu so packages can now register there and become first class applications.
- Refactorings making various parts of the image easily removable.
- Various other fixes have been included.
(The 3.3alpha branch with Modules was declared obsolete. See Modules Discussion at OOPSLA 2002.)
The current stable version is 3.2. (3.2-4956)
As of 10/3/2001:
The current stable version is 3.0. (3.1beta was abandoned.)
The current development version is 3.2alpha. Read Dan Ingalls' announcement for version 3.2
As of 7/15/2001:
The current stable version has been 3.0 for quite a while now. Read Dan Ingalls' announcement for version 3.0
The current development version is 3.1alpha.
Read Dan Ingall's announcement for version 2.9
Read Dan Ingall's announcement for version 2.8
Read Dan Ingall's announcement for version 2.7
Read Dan Ingall's announcement for version 2.6
Read Dan Ingall's announcement for version 2.5
Read Dan Ingall's announcement for version 2.4
Read Dan Ingall's announcement for version 2.3.
Announced changes in SqueakVersion2 (2.0).
Release Notes for Squeak 1.x Versions.