Release Plan for 3.9
Last updated at 2:01 am UTC on 20 December 2005
Squeak 3.9 is the current work-in-progress development release.
The 3.9 release has its own mini-mailing list. Feel free to join or follow the archives here.
You can create a 3.9 alpha image from a 3.8 final image. Just evaluate:
and enter Squeak3.9alpha, and perform an update.
Here is a tentative release plan for 3.9, still being worked on (see TODO3.9):
3.9 Basic Content
- Major enhancements/features
- New 3.9alpha Hybrid MC/UpdateStream Process.
- Definitely going in:
- Monticello (Essential for the new Packages+Update Stream process.)
- ToolBuilder This is the inclusion of ToolBuilder itself and also the conversion of all hardcoded references to PopUpMenu etc to use the more generic ToolBuilder code instead. (Göran Krampe: The idea is to make sure it gets in so that tool maintainers can migrate over to ToolBuilder during and after 3.9, in order for the tools to work in other UI frameworks in post 3.9 releases where Morphic isn't necessarily around anymore)
- Probably going in, but discussion is welcome:
- Under consideration, needs further discussion:
- See 3.9alpha Hybrid MC/UpdateStream Process which is being actively worked on by the Packages Team. The 3.9 release team will coordinate with them.
- Misc notes:
- Partitioning of something into a package would not necessarily mean removal from the 3.9 Basic configuration
- The PackageInfo-Extras package may be needed in 3.9 for dealing with PIs. (Göran Krampe: Well, I would say it is a "very good thing" to have, not just "needed". :) This is because it offers "changeset splitting" and "mail to maintainers" mechanisms in the changesorters, which are the equivalent of "mail to list", but in a partitioned world)
- (The Morphic Splitters team will be working on splitting off a Morphic package, which will likely be an installable filein for 3.9, but won't actually be incorporated until immediately after 3.9.)
- Medium-sized & miscellaneous grab-bag enhancements to be considered, listed here as a reminder.
- A Services framework (to let any type of service register itself without having to modify base methods). Consider Romain's if the implementation is solid/ready.
- Keybindings or Keymapping (different frameworks, similar ideas)
- Bert's Enh patching fonts to display "_" as underscore, and for using := instead of left arrow (see http://source.impara.de/underscore.html)
- Andrew's fixes/refactoring of Association
- Shout, eCompletion, etc. (depending on performance/necessity, some of these should remain as separate packages)
- (Here is where more suggestions are welcome. Especially for things you haven't written yourself.)
- See if there are a few simple enhs that can be done to speed up Morphic UI performance a bit
- Consideration of Package Universes or similar concept, easily accessible from the final 3.9 UI
3.9 Full Content
- Maybe add a few well-loved packages to the Full release configuration
- Fall 2005, currently a vague target date
- Preference Pane
- Enh for self evaluation (Stef and Alex)
- A modules system from Modules team
- 64-bit Squeak, which would be a 4.0 release (breaking image compatibility)
- There may also be a need for a 3.10 release to continue the original 3.x 32-bit line.
– Doug Way
noted 3 dead links -wiz (fixed. -dew)