Last updated at 1:40 am UTC on 21 December 2013
This is a page to coordinate tutorials in progress. For a list of Squeak tutorials, see Squeak Tutorials.
Please put down your ideas about tutorials in general and in particular. What do you think is a valuable base to build on, where are things severly missing?
Tutorials in progress
Everybody working on a tutorial is kindly asked to put in a note here.
Tutorials in planning
Incomplete and Abandoned Tutorials
Ideas for tutorials - general and specific
- Translation of the nice traffic light demo from Spanish to English- http://sugarweb.com/Learning/Morphic/index.htm - Probably Leandro Caniglia has to be asked for permission. He calls Smalltalk a "virtual laboratory" in his tutorial.
- Recording a demo on writing a Morphic book - possibly using a movie capturing utility (screen and voice comments) like snagIt from http://www.techsmith.com
- Elaborate on the Morphic Tutorial: Build a 4 digit LED counter (two versions - one doing it programmatically and the other by direct manipulation - see mails on the mailing list; add screen shots.)
- Write a tutorial on an example using the simulation framework of the purple book - for example a harbour simulation in Morphic - ships entering and leaving a harbor. The code for the simulation framework should already be on the net somewhere.
- Explanation and demonstration of the Newton laws using a Morphic book
- Introduction into language xy (for example Russian or Japanese) using a Morphic book with InterimSoundMorphs.
- Elaborated tutorial on using the Morphic construction toolkit.
- Develop a metaphor for explaining Squeak (perhaps using some ideas from http://www.mindspring.com/~juggle5/Writings/Publications.html like the city metaphor.)
- Enhance the bibliography indicating how other tutorials from other Smalltalk implementations could be used.
- Evaluate how other tutorials can be adapted for Squeak (including obtaining the permissions where necessary.)
- Develop a set of paths or "guided tours" within Squeak. Use the hyperlink feature in the Squeak class documentation. Point of depart is probably the Object class. A tour could go to the collection classes; a second to the basic GUI classes; a third to the Morphic classes; a fourth to the Swiki classes ....
- and ...
- and ...
- please add further ideas
Defined tasks for tutorials
Please add here a description of a more elaborated version of an above ideas, ideally with on an new wiki page with description, questions and subtasks added.
- Develop formatting examples for tutorials - Would you Torsten Bergmann take on this job? (hjh) You could for example use the Morphic Tutorial: Build a 4 digit LED counter (and spend the counter a real model)! Or an alarm clock instead? Or a calender? There is somewhere already a calender file in.
- Develop a set of rules for communicating through this swiki; for example on how to include meta communication on the writing process. (Example: If a wiki page has a responsible assigned others are asked not to directly edit the page and put their comments in a special section of the page instead - for example at the bottom.)
- Open an inbox page for questions on Squeak
- Review existing tutorials - correspondence with the authors about further work.
Tutorials being tested
Please fill in which documentation or tutorials you have used and write down your comments. (including questions on parts which are not clear.)
Recently finished tutorial tasks