Last updated at 12:30 am UTC on 13 September 2019
Squeak is a tightly integrated software development environment for live software construction using the object-oriented programming language Smalltalk. It runs on many computers and operating systems. Squeak is free and open source. Squeak has its own unique place in the universe. A growing community of Squeak developers and users meet here to share facts and pointers to other Squeak related websites.
- http://www.squeak.org/ – Squeak's main website, also reachable by clicking on the Squeak mouse icon on the top left
"We believe that, among many other capabilities, Squeak is a valuable research and prototyping platform for various kinds of user interfaces, interaction models, programming paradigms, and educational methods" [source]
Releases and Downloading
News about Squeak
- As of Squeak v4.0 (which was released back in 2010), Squeak is licensed mostly under the MIT license, with some parts under the Apache 2.0 license. For more details, see FAQ: Licenses
Morphic / Etoys / Scratch
- Morphic is a direct-manipulation User Interface (UI) construction kit.
- Etoys is a scripting system used in education built on top of Morphic.
- Scratch (NuScratch) is a visual programming tool built with Squeak.
Programs and Projects: Past, Present, and Future
- SqueakSource – Monticello code repository server which hosts your projects. Connect to it with the Monticello Browser from Squeak or use the web frontend.
- SqueakMap – The catalogue of available Squeak code, including applications, tools, projects, goodies, packages, etc.
- All Projects – Many projects complementing SqueakMap, either because they don't fit there (like hardware), or they are not yet maintained there.
- Production Squeak – Squeak code that is being used for commercial or non-commercial applications.
- Code requests – Code that's begging to be written, if only someone can find the time.
- Google Summer of Code – Link to current and past efforts.
- Squeak's User Interface – Information, projects and links about the human computer interface in Squeak.
Programming in Squeak