Last updated at 9:24 pm UTC on 6 October 2020
Note: Most currently maintained and downloadable projects and applications within Squeak can now be found on SqueakMap. A wider variety of projects (and level of maintenance) appears below.
The following categories will jump you into the full listing:
Feel free to add entries, and try to keep them in alphabetical order. Please include the name of the project maintainer, a description, the most recent release of the system in which it has been tested, any other packages it requires, and where to get it. Go ahead and link the title of the package to any more detailed web page that exists for it.
This page combines the older VanIsleCampSmalltalk2015, Tools, and Packages pages.
If you are looking for something to do, you might also want to take a look at Code requests.
Question: what items should included in the templates? Potential items:
- Description: a brief description of the package;
- Author: the name and email of the author(s);
- RelatedSites: URL's other than the main one. eg, the original page for a port;
- Squeak Version: information about Squeak versions this project runs with;
- Required packages: names of packages that are also required, ideally hyperlinked to their web page.
- Description: MIDIFileWriter is a class that allows you to convert Squeak's MIDIScore data structure to a midi file. This midi file can then be loaded in other applications. With MIDIFileWriter, Squeak can now be used as a music editing tool. In the past, you could read in a midi file and change its orchestration and notes...but once you changed it, you had no way of getting the data back out. Now, you can make any modifications you want (or even make a new composition from the keyboard and piano roll) and export it using a common file format.
- Author: Lushi
- Download: MIDIFileWriter Version 1.01 (still beta though)
- Comment: Please beta test it and give feedback here! I need feedback about what to improve and change and how to integrate it into Squeak.
- Sound and music
- Description: links to audio codecs. The MP3 codec can handle MPEG video as well as audio.
- Description:Eddie's tool lets you place notes on staffs, right-click them to change duration, create multiple staffs, and then generate MIDI ScorePlayers to play the result. He's implemented his own font system to gain more control over the individual notes. There's a ReadMe that explains some of it.
2002-02-28: The downloaded file (downloaded several times with several browsers) is rejected by WinZip as not a valid zip file. Can anyone fix this or provide an alternate source? Will this play with versions 3.0+?
- Description: a music description system
- Description: A nice MP3 player for Squeak.
- Author: Bob Hartwig
- SqueakVersion: 2.8 - 3.3.
- Prerequisites: Sound and music
- download FontMover.st
- Description: This fileIn 'FontMover.st' installs and removes font(s) in the image. For Squeak 3.3; ask for a version on 3.2.
- FontMover removes font(s) from the image, moves font(s) from image into files in a directory "Police". Symetrically, FontMover moves font(s) from a directory to the image.
- Author: Jean-Marie.email@example.com
- Description: Some new fonts for Squeak
- Author: Duane Maxwell & Bob Arning
- Description: This fileIn: bdffontsets-nop.cs.gz installs several FontSets converted from some of the 75dpi Bitmap Distribution Format fonts shipped with X11R6.3. The fonts were downloaded and converted to StrikeFont .sf2 format with the BDFFontReader changeset. Their copyright information is included in the class comment for each FontSet.
- Author: Jay Carlson
- High-quality font support
- Description: antialiased true type fonts, using the FreeType library
- Author: Henrik Gedenryd
- Date: December 2000
- Font Editor
- Download page: http://www.bgaertner.gmxhome.de/
- Description: A font editor for Squeak 3.4. It uses a carefully modernised version
- of MVC and is itself an MVC application.
- Author: Boris.Gaertner@gmx.net
- Description: Build chemical molecules using the given atoms.
- AtomicGame new openInWorld. or
- Click on [new morph] and then [AtomicGame].
- Version: 3.0
- Date: 7 Ago 2002
- Author: Gustavo Rafael Pistoia
- Description: Help the black sheep jump the fence.
- Author: Karl Ramberg.
- Version: 0.1
- SqueakVersion: Tested on 2.7 and 2.8 alfa.
- Date: 20 may 2000
- Description: a table with bricks, which have to be arranged according to the bricks labels.
- Author: Ricardo Jos Ferreira.
- Version: 1.0
- SqueakVersion: Tested on 2.7
- Date: 29 Aug 2000
- Conquest 1.0 alpha
- Description: For all of you who like to remember ancient times, the alpha version of my Squeak version of an old console game called Conquestis now available. It should run on Squeak 2.6 or later. [It will run with 2.8a2096 –sma] Please be warned: I'm sure the program still contains bugs but you can play it already. It's not an example for good object-oriented programming – quite the opposite. And depending on your hardware, the console display might be somewhat slow.
- Author: Stefan Matthias Aust
- Version: 1.0 alpha
- Date: 19 Dec 1999
- TT800 Random Number Generator
- Description: Scrabble Game by Juan Vuletich
- Author: Brian Rice
- Date: April 23, 2002
- Description: Simulator of Interactive Mobile Sentients - A logic engine for a MOO or a game like The Sims, but more flexible than either.
- SqueakVersion: Developed within 3.2g, but it's generic enough to work with any Squeak having weak collections (2.8 and later).
- Version: 0.3
- Squabble a Wonderland-based game and interface intended to be much like The Sims, based on SIMS.
- Snake (a.k.a. Nibbles, Worm)
- Description: steer your snake to eat treats and avoid collisions, with the walls and with itself.
- Versions: writen on 3.0
- Opening: SnakeGameMorph new openInWorld
- Controls: left arrow - turn counterclockwise; right arrow - turn clockwise.
- Author: Jaime Silvela. You can email me or browse my web page.
- Anim System
- Description: An Algorithm Animation Exploration System
- Description: plugin for speeding up the JPEG read/writer
- Status: working on it for the summer.
- OpenGL via FFI
- Description: allows access to OpenGL via FFI (Foreign Function Interface).
- Date: January 2001
- Description: Framework which replaces all squeak display rendering to use with HW accelerated OpenGL
- Date: August 2007
Low Level Projects
Projects working on Squeak at a low level, e.g. the Virtual Machine.
- Squeak VM Plugins
- Description: the process of splitting the Virtual Machine into smaller subcomponents
- Description: An improved build setup for the VM, making it easy to select which plugins should be compiled internally, externally, or not at all
- Description: A meta-circular VM fully implemented in Smalltalk, which can compile & run itself using platform's native code.
- Math Pack1 math pack2 and math pack3.com
- Description: Extends the Squeak environment providing mathematical operations with complex numbers, vectors, and matrixes. A wide range of other fundamental mathemetical operations are included.
- Description: allows some basic manipulation of symbolic expressions. For example, determine whether
(p => (q => r)) is equivalent to ((p => q) => r)
or expand (a+b)**3 (** is the same as raisedTo:) to obtain
((a**2)*b*3) + ((b**2)*a*3) + (a**3) + (b**3).
- Number Theory
- Description: determine whether a number is prime with probabilistic methods, calculate jacobi symbol, solve a Chinese remainder system, etc.
- Description: Our goal is to explore and promote the use of Smalltalk as a major tool in the mathematical work.
- SimPackage from the Blue Book
- Description: Simulation package from the Blue/Purple Book.
- Crypto Base
- Description: This is a simple package of crypto primitives.
:- Author: Ned Konz
- Description: Connected drawing support and environment for Morphic. Includes UML diagramming (class, state diagram) support; easily extended for other diagram types.
- Date: 19 June 2002
- Version: 1.0
- SqueakVersion: 3.2 or 3.3
- Preceding Packages: Morphic (usually in the image)
- Download: ConnectorsMS-nk.cs.gz
- Now on SqueakMap
- Morphic Joules
- Description: An outliner plus a lot more
- Author: Laurence Rozier
- Date: 11 Aug 2001
- Version: beta
- SqueakVersion: 3.1alpha-4173
- Morphic Wrappers
- Description: It simplifies the use of Morphic Worlds for simple users and programmers.
- Description: Squeakidon is a teletext-like system written in Morphic.
- Author: Kevin Fisher
- Date: 03 January 2001
- Version: pre-alpha...contact me if you really want to try it
- SqueakVersion: 2.9 alpha on Linux
- Description: Erlang-inspired Smalltalk embedded domain-specific language for bidirectionally mapping binary data structures to objects. Useful, for example, for parsing network or telephony packet structures or other binary files or formats.
- Author: Tony Garnock-Jones
- Description: a tool for computer aided information retrieval on the Web.
- Description: A Usenet News (NNTP) reader. Requires miscChanges.st (in the same directory) as a prerequisite.
- Author: Georg Gollman
- SqueakVersion: 2.6 (2.8?)
- Description: A lightweighted client/server application for evaluating Smalltalk code in another - remote - image.
- Author: Stephan Rudlof
Object databases and Squeak clients
- Description: A full-featured Squeak client to GemStone/S Object Database.
- SqueakVersion: 3.1alpha-4173, or later.
- more- VanIsleCampSmalltalk2015
- Description: various databases supported by Squeak
- ODBC for Squeak
- Description: Very simple framework for ODBC support in Squeak.
- Description: An early pre-alpha implementation of a database API for Squeak. The current implementation of the API used BerkeleyDB.
- Description: A plugin for accessing DBs with support for native threads and an API for adapting DB vendor drivers.
- Modules and interfaces:
- o Smalltalk <-> plugin
- o plugin <-> mini driver
- A new DB (vendor) driver can be adapted to the mini-driver API.
- Description: A plugin for accessing DBs through OpenDBX and (in the near future) with FlexDB, aims to integrate smoothly with Glorp.
Computer platform Specific
- Applescript Plugin
- Description: A plugin providing access to the Applescript scripting language on MacOS computers.
- SqueakVersion: 2.6 or later
- Description: OSProcess provides access to operating system functions, including pipes, stdin/stdout/stderr, child process creation, and Squeak image cloning (fork into two Squeaks from the running image). It is implemented using pluggable primitives in a loadable module for Linux and will probably work on most Unix systems.
- Author: Richard Harmon
- Description: Standard ANSI messages and Classes
- Author: Robert Hirschfeld
- Description: AspectS is an approach to general-purpose Aspect-Oriented Programming in the Squeak environment.
- The Browser Reduction tool
- Description: Reduce browser proliferation by reusing browsers already opened on that class, method or object.
- Description: an integration to CVS for source management, ported to different Smalltalks
- Description: an attempt to revitalize the concept of ChangeSets and update streams.
- Description: Dandelion is code analysis / document generation tool.
- Version: 0.5beta1
- SqueakVersion: 3.2 gamma
- Date: 13 apr 2002
- Description: An advanced Spacially Oriented Programming language. Or a vicious mechanism to put the IOCCC to shame. A simple port of (so far) the Befunge'93 spec published by Cat's Eye Technologies.
- Description: in-image security based on capabilities
- Author: Scamper
- Description: The SUnit Testing Framework by Kent Beck and Erich Gamma.
- The Tracing Messages Browser
- Description: Visually trace flow of code statically. Reduce MessageList browser profileration by indenting implementors below and outdenting senders above in the same browser.
- X10 Driver for Squeak
- Description: This is a driver to control the X10 MP3 Remote device.
- Date: 03 January 2001
- Description: extends message sending from immediate call/return semantics to eventual send/promise/resolve.
- Description: a concurrent communications buffer with tuple pattern matching.
Speed Up Standard System
Plugins to speed up the standard system. See also Maximum Squeak.
- Description: plugin for faster arithmetic
- Status: finished
- Description: An alternative look inspeired by the vivarium image.
- Author: Arjen van Elteren
- Decsription: Boris G. Chr. Shingarov's version of Squeak (Native Window support for Squeak). Right now, Cheese only runs on OS/2 (2.1, Warp 3 and Warp 4)
- Areithfa Ffenestri Multiple Host Windows for Squeak
- Description: Architecture for supporting multiple host platform windows.
- Description: an outline editor
- Author: Michal Starke.
- GUI Building Tools
- Description: A few of the current GUI building tools available for Squeak. Includes Prefab, a GUI builder which generates source code, SguiKit, a GUI Builder which generates gui specs, and BobsUI, a UI widget set.
- Large Lists
- Description: A change to PluggableListMorph to handle huge lists much more efficiently.
- Host Menus
- Description: Host menu support using the hosting OS menu API
- Morphic Wrappers
- Description: It simplifies the use of Morphic Worlds for simple users and programmers.
- New Look
- Description: a new overall look for Squeak, with plenty of preferences to adapt to a wide range of hardware
- Description: Shrinking Selection enables you to change the way you interact with the text selection in two ways: 1. The selected area will shrink when you select by keyboard and change the direction (hence the name) 2. You may choose to move the cursor in a more word-processor kind of a way i.e. graphical line by graphical line rater than logical line by logical line.
- STP's Package Browser
- Description: Traditional Six-paned Browser (i.e., the class categories are split into a 2-level hierarchy). (Already included in Squeak 2.7.)
- STP's Time Profile Browser
- Description: An indented list for browsing the "call graph" of a MessageTally profile. (Already included in Squeak 2.7.)
- BFAV Server See 704.html">SystemWindow widget look
- Description: Changes the look of the SystemWindow close and collapse buttons. Warning: Not backwards compatible.
- Author: Karl Ramberg
- Date: May 3 2000
- Version: 0.1
- Squeak version: Tested on 2.8a
- Whisker Browser
- Description: A "stacking" Smalltalk browser which lets you view multiple methods and classes simultaneously
- Author: Doug Way
- Date: March 18 2001
- Version: 0.92
- Squeak version: 2.8, 3.0, 3.1alpha
- A page set up for collecting widgets.
- Description: A newer version of the Squeak pluggable web server.
- Description: A framework for building complex web applications.
- Author: Avi Bryant, Julian Fitzell.
- Date: February, 2002.
- Description: Editing images in a Swiki
- Status: Prototype
- Author: Andrew Sayman
- Description: A swiki that uses Morph's instead of HTML
- Author: Scamper
- Description: A set of widgets for Seaside.
- Author: Juan Matías Burella, Hernán Morales Durand, Norberto Manzanos.
- Date: October, 2008.
- Description: The Squeak version of a Wiki server, aka a "Swiki". See also Comanche.
- SSP - Squeak Server Pages (SSP)
- Description: This change set enables servlet style methods to be written in the class browser. I named it SSP because of it's likeness to JSP, PSP, etc. However, it's not exactly like those schemes, in that it has nothing (necessarily) to do with web serving and the like. SSP methods write the contents of their source onto a stream. Smalltalk code segments (delinieated with <% and %>) can be embedded into this text. Additionally, embedding Smalltalk code between <%= and %>, will force the compiler to send #sspStreamOn: to the result of evaluating the enclosed expression. SSP modifies the parser to allow SSP syntax to be written directly in the class browser.
- Author: Stephen Pair
- STT - Smalltalk Templates
- Description: Similar but not fixed to the way ASP, JSP, PHP, etc. do it, STT's idea is to make possible to write Smalltalk code within the context of other documents. STT code can be embedded on any documents, from HTML to plain text.
- Author: Federico G. Stilman
These projects either haven't been categorized yet, or just don't seem to fit anywhere.
- BobArning's Tools
- Description: several other tool-related goodies such as the Source Comparison Browser, the SyntaxMorph graphical syntax viewer, and BobsBrowser.
- Ed's Squeaky Schemes
- Description: EdKleban's tool-ridden webpage, including a porting project for PowerBrowser, PowerBrowser Database Searches on Steroids ("Dynamix"), Ed goes Morphic, Cellular Automata Engine, and Life, Up Close in Real Time. (this webpage seems to have been down for quite awhile...)
- Status: BurnOut(?)
- Description: Classes to represent external IO channels
- Description: DOA(?)
- Status: Moribund(?)
- Description: Squeak No Operating System
- Description: A Constraint-Oriented Simulation Laboratory. The goal is that the user can describe complex simulations easily.
- Description: An incremental constraint solving toolkit
- Description: TimeZone provides support for time zone databases directly in Squeak, as well as a number of related time functions. UTC offsets and leap seconds are supported, and time zone rules may be loaded directly from compiled tzfile files as provided on many newer Unix-like systems.
- Description: Prototypes documents attempts to allow classless objects in the Squeak image.
- Description: a parsing toolkit
- Description: A drawing tool to create uml like diagrams.
- Description: A visual data analysis workbench.
- Banyan backup and file utility
- Description: Easily transfer your work from one computer to another.
See also Goodies.